You do need some basic equipment for your first triathlon. This equipment doesn’t have to be expensive and it can be borrowed to save money:
- Swim suit, goggles, and I recommend a cap if you have long hair.
- A bicycle that fits you and is in good working order. This can be a road bike, a mountain bike or a hybrid. You can use a time trial bike if you have one, or have access to one, but a special triathlon or time trial bicycle is not necessary.
- Cycling shorts for training. A decent pair of cycling shorts, worn sans underwear, can make riding more comfortable, and they help prevent saddle sores.
- You can use clipless pedals and cycling shoes, but they are not a “must have” item.
- A water bottle for use on your longer bike rides.
- A good pair of running shoes. You don’t have to spend $200 to get a great pair of shoes, but you do need a pair of shoes that are made for running and that fit your feet. The best resource for shoes is a local running store.